Urchfont v GFCC 30/5/18

May 5, 2018

Match Reports


Match report Golden Fleece vs Urchfont at Urchfont, Wednesday 30th May, 15 overs

Photo © Chris Heaton (cc-by-sa/2.0)

By Keith Firth

The Team:

Andy Lawn, Stuart Seymour, Ian McCaughan (Captain), Sachin Pande, Richard Todhunter, Ralph Todhunter, Sam Lovell, Keith Firth, Liam Wiltshire, James Walters

As the evening approached on Wednesday, the steamy, tropical conditions, more suited to Sri Lanka at this time of year, descended on the Vale of Pewsey and the hard to find, tranquil and delightful village of Urchfont. Mist turned to relentless, fine drizzle, yet this was not enough to dissuade the band of Fleecers from focussing on the job at hand. Urchfont elected to bat first, perhaps believing that the gloomy sky and overcast conditions would be an advantage later in the evening.

Ralph Todhunter opened the bowling, immediately putting Urchfont under pressure and posting the most dot balls for any bowler in the match. Sam Lovell bowled sharply and despite their opening batsmen taking liberties, was rewarded with the first wicket – a gut-trembling catch by Sachin. Runs were steadily added through the tight bowling of Sachin, Andy and Keith. The skiddy surface didn’t stop a couple of Urchfont batsmen reaching the compulsory retirement, but this let in middle order batsmen unaccustomed to the conditions. The next breakthrough came from the exquisite wicket maiden of James, with a great catch from Liam in the outfield. The run-rate slowed dramatically, despite one or two fielding bloomers (Captain?). Pin point accuracy from the bowling of Liam, along with the now legendary unfathomable up and under bowling from Stuart, saw a couple more well-deserved wickets in the closing overs. Extras made up only 2 of the 76 runs achieved by Urchfont.

The drizzle abated as the Fleece batting got off to a flying start with an early boundary from Sachin, followed by a sustained onslaught of great strikes around the field and more boundaries, culminating in a fury of splinters as his bat refused to take more punishment and a retirement at 26 runs.  Richard took a few overs to get going, not helped by some loose and straggly bowling from Urchfont as the boggy pitch started to churn up, but then gradually added runs at a steady rate. Extras began piling up, and Stuart entered the fray and immediately notched up quick runs, including a boundary, until slippy conditions and accurate fielding from Urchfont resulted in an untimely run out. The Captain entered the field with light fading fast, and immediately provided superb support to Richard in the closing overs with an unrelenting punishment of the Urchfont bowling, and successive singles. Into the final over, with only 7 runs needed. Richard faced and struck the first ball for 2, followed by a blistering boundary to reach the retirement score of 28 runs. 1 run needed from 4 balls as Keith entered the arena, settled down and blocked the first ball with bat and pad but then, with the second, manufactured a delightful pull that skidded across the slimy surface, mesmerising the Urchfont field and crossed the boundary for the winning runs, to great cheers and delight.

A very friendly and accommodating Urchfont team – amazing that the game went ahead in such horrid conditions, but always great to get the win.

Comments are closed.